Monday, June 26, 2017

Castagnola's


I tried something new with this, my most recent drawing: putting the story right on the picture. Nearly everything I draw has some sort of story behind it. And, as I try in my stumbling way to start making work that addresses bigger issues like feminism and white supremacy, I'm realizing it's becoming increasingly important for me to find a way to convey that story along with the image. Otherwise this is just a sort of a cute drawing of a cheesy Italian restaurant, and that was not my intent. I'm not 100% sure this is the ultimate solution, but I'm trying it out.

In case this one is hard to read, it says: "At this Fisherman's Wharf restaurant I overheard a verbal altercation that, my gut told me, was racially motivated. I feel shame that I did nothing to intervene."

No comments:

Post a Comment