Wednesday, August 3, 2016

You Know You're Really an Author When You Sit Down and Review Galleys


Within the last few weeks I have reviewed galleys for the two books I'm writing (see here, here, and here for the saga of how I came to be writing two books at once, how these are the first books I've written but not the first books I've authored, how it feels to finish two manuscripts, and much more). Galleys, for the uninitiated to publishing, are the book all laid-out in design for the first time. Inevitably it's a moment when a few things (but not too many things) need to change, so authors and editors go through the galleys to make comments and edits, and it's also when the text is proofread. One book, The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up, I reviewed with pencil on paper. The other, which shows an older title below and is now actually called How Art Can Make You Happy, I reviewed on screen and emailed comments to my editor. In both cases perhaps the most important tool that I used in the review process was a mug of coffee. Both books are forthcoming from Chronicle Books in the Spring of next year. I still can't get over how real this is getting!


No comments:

Post a Comment