Friday, March 27, 2015

Fertile Ground: Art and Community in California


I went and saw the show "Fertile Ground: Art and Community in California" at the Oakland Museum of California last week. I really enjoyed this show--a co-production with with currently shuttered, and therefore currently mobile SFMOMA--for many reasons, but most particularly because it meant I got to see some old friends and familiar faces from the SFMOMA collection. And it reminded me how much I love the stuff in that museum, and how much I miss going there and seeing these artworks. Well, the new museum opens next year, and this show should tide me over for a little while at least. It's about 4 Bay Area artist communities: the WPA and visiting Mexican muralists in the 1930s, The California School of Fine Arts in the 40s and 50s, UC Davis in the 60s and 70s, and the Mission School in the 90s through to the present day. Just as a matter of personal taste, I liked the second and the fourth sections best, but the whole thing was very cool. Thanks OMCA!

Above, Diego Rivera


Frida Kahlo


Debora Remington


Clifford Still


Mark Rothko


James Weeks


Richard Diebenkorn


Elmer Bischoff


Wayne Thiebaud


Wayne Thiebaud again


Margaret Kilgallen


Chris Johanson


Alicia McCarthy


Barry McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment