Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Continuing Poem Series About the Spring of 2006 Carries On Like This


April 4, 2006
The other cool thing that happened over the weekend was that

I made baguettes

People
I made fucking baguettes!

Didn’t have an inkling what I was doing
and wasn’t at all sure
right up until the moment of eating
that they might not be a complete inedible disaster
and I was pretty much ok with that possibility

But they were pretty tasty
a bit denser and chewier than perhaps ideal
but still more or less recognizable as bread

Somewhat lopsided

maybe a little pale

at first I didn’t put in enough flour
so for a while I had this mass
of basically runny glue
But I got that sorted out eventually

I especially liked the vision of the dough rising
in the tan bowl with the blue stripe
covered by a moist orange and white striped tea towel

It was like
I don’t know
like the pie on the windowsill
or some other long-gone image
of vanished domesticity

but it was there
in my kitchen
and it was real
and even sort of useful

So very strange

And nice





image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment