Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Recently, Elsewere


The other day I wrote a post over on the blog of the fine publisher I work for, all about folk music and childhood as they pertain to a new book I edited called The Littlest Birds Sing the Prettiest Songs by artist Jennie Smith. I'll leave it to my work-blog-self to tell you all about that over there. But I did just want to share, over here, two images I managed to scare up for the post, in addition to Smith's wonderful art (an example of which is above).


Here, a spread from Beverly Cleary's immortal Romona Quimby, Age 8 in which Willa Jean forces an unwilling Romona to play a frenetic make-believe game based on the song "Froggie Went a Courting." (This moment is of course especially pithy when one recalls all the aggravating spots a nursery-school-age Romona used to get her grade-school-age sister Beezus into in the earlier books).


And this one, a photo of my own dear child enjoying The Littlest Birds Sing the Prettiest Songs with her Daddy just before nap time, way back last week when she was not yet two.

No comments:

Post a Comment