Thursday, August 2, 2012

A New Poem in the New Ongoing Series About the Winter of 2005



December 5, 2005
The farmer’s market on Saturday morning elevated my mood as always

Am particularly fascinated
with the existence of winter produce
Who knew such a thing existed?

I mean ok
I knew there was produce to be had in the winter
this is California after all

But the notion that this
right now
with the dark gray and the rain
is the actual season of certain things
good things
tangerines, brussels sprouts, lettuces, chestnuts
On some level I just really had no idea

Sounds dim-witted now that I type it out
but the default mode of city living
(which I do now)
and suburban living
(which I grew up doing)
is
as they say
pretty darn divorced from these matters


image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment