Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Next Installment in the Ongoing Poem Series About the Fall of 2005


October 27, 2005
Has the sign for Harry Denton’s Starlight Room always been so lit up?

So sparkly?
With all those little moving blinking lightbulbs all around the edges?
During the daytime?
Really?

Or is it just the darkness of these rainy mornings
(although it wasn’t actually raining this morning
it was dark
the second day in a row I didn’t
indeed couldn’t
wear sunglasses on my way to work
and felt like a blinking blind naked baby as a result
inadvertently making eye contact with strangers in the street)
that brings its luminosity to the fore?

Surely I’ve walked right down the hill
straight at that sign
many other gloomy mornings
these past two years
But until today I would have sworn
it was only lit up
at night
But
I strongly suspect
I would have been wrong

image source is here

No comments:

Post a Comment