Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Jackets as Decor


Now here is an interesting thing in the book world (note bene: no one in publishing, as far as I know, uses that term--rather, by employing it, I am outing myself as a nerd who reads Jasper Fford)--this company, Juniper Books, will make you custom book jackets for the books in your home library, so they can all match and look extra cool together on your shelves. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, they're certainly doing it well and, ooh pretty. But on the other hand I'm picturing thousands of hard-working book designers quietly going insane with the ignominy of having all their thoughtful work undone. Not to mention I do rather love a sloppy, loved, real shelf of books, where everything has clearly been read and pawed over and many were bought for cheap so the reader in question could read more, not prettier. So, suffice it to say I won't be ordering any of these up for myself any time soon. But I can admire them as eye candy with impunity, and now so can you, thanks to these fine images culled by Nursery Notations and Elements of Style:








No comments:

Post a Comment