Friday, June 17, 2011

Atlas of Remote Islands


Some might argue that today's art book, Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Never Set Food On and Never Will is not an art book at all, but rather a very beautifully designed, illustrated, nonfiction book about islands. But to me this distinction is a quibble, and a futile one at that--as futile as the argument about art versus craft, or the teapot-tempest about art museums mounting shows about fashion designers. Author, illustrator, and designer Judith Schalansky has surely made a work of art here (I was about to type something about her having "elevated" this book to the level of art--but the implied hierarchy there, with art standing on the shoulders of illustration and design, not to mention writing, bothered me, so I revised). Check it out and see for yourself:





No comments:

Post a Comment